Sunday, June 22, 2008

Double Header

It's a great day for 2 softball games!

We are the only team in our division who is still undefeated. Time will soon tell if that will still be true at the end of the day.

Our first game started off decently. We traded runs throughout the game. We were not playing our best ball. We seemed to like just throwing the ball around the diamond while being just generous enough to let them score. We had a few bright moments. Amy made a fantastic running catch in Left Center. Paul and Stacie had a guy in a pickle at third. Paul was chasing him back to third when the runner dove for the base and Paul dove after him. It reminded me of when my kids were younger and watched wrestling. Paul landed on top of the guy with a flying elbow almost certainly grinding him into the base path. OUT!!!! the umpire says! Although Paul got up slowly, he knew he made a darn nice play. Too bad it went all for not, as in the top of the 7th we handed them the game. We were up 7-5, 2 on, 2 out. We then played catch with the grass, the fence and the umpire. We fell apart. 4 runs later we are down 9-7. Our first real breakdown of the season. We couldn't put anything together in the bottom of the inning. A loss.

We had an hour between games and pulled up a few coolers to cool off. We were not a team that was too happy with the way we played. After catching everyone up on the New York trip we got ready for game 2.

As we were watching the other team warm up, we notice that ( I will try to be as nice as I can), we might have to do a "cup" check on this other team. We seriously could only visibly pick out 3 men on that team. We started looking for boobies, sports bras and any other noticeable female attributes. Lets just say, the women on this team swung from both sides of the plate.

Now I know you think I may be being harsh, but there was 2 incidents that played out this tune. The first was when their team was coming up to bat. Paul was running the scorebook and the name they gave as the first at bat was Sara. Paul yells " WHOA WHOA, Sara is the first batter!!. The batter turns and says " I AM Sara. The umpire, then trying to cover for Paul says " OK, but is it Sara H. or Sara A." Uhmm, there was only one Sara on the team!The second happened when the umpire asked their catcher who was playing in the outfield ( he was trying to determine the boy, girl, boy, girl positioning). Now after they determined the names, it still did not help the umpire so he politely said that he could not tell who was who. Their catcher replied " Heh, I have trouble telling who is who too!"

We played pretty well. Angie made a great closed eye catch in right field, Nate had another in the park homerun and Dennis laid the biggest belly smacker crossing home plate for and in the park homer. For those that were at our first practice but not at the game, it looked like Paul's flop at home, only past home plate and a 4.4 on the Richter Scale! Not quite as graceful as Superman when he lands, but a helluva lot funnier. Love ya DENNIS! We thought we were going to have to give the Red Cross a call for a blood transfusion as Dennis was leaking quite well. 2 huge scrapes on his knees, 1 nice one on his shin and yet another on his elbow. It was bleeding well enough that the umpire had to ask him to cover it up or he would not be aloud to play. The man came prepared as a bandage went on the knee, his shin sleeve was hiked up over a knee and his white towel turned a dark red as he cleaned up as best as he could.

On another note I was playing catcher as I seem to have that down pat. A batter comes up, hits a slow roller out front. I bust out from behind the plate. I see Mike coming up, I pick up the ball, the runner is running to first, AAARGHHHH too many things going through my head, should I throw it to first, or toss it to Mike and have him throw it, should I , should Mike, should I should Mike....... I Let the ball FLY!!!!! and the damn thing ends up behind me. Now, lets be honest, I threw it for NEGATIVE yards. After realizing, what the heck I just did, I hear Mike L yell from Right Center "WHAT ARE YOU THROWING? A YO-YO!!!!!" Now yes, I am a tad embarrassed, I walk back to the plate so we can get back to pitching, when i notice the umpire is snickering. I turn and say "It was not that funny", When he replies " Oh **snicker** Yes it was".

We played much better in the field and pulled out a 5-0 win. It made it a little easier to swallow after our performance in the first game.

I need to give a huge shout out to Amy B as she had by far her best day out in the field today. She was making plays left and right. Didn't matter if it was a fly ball or a grounder. She was hustling all over, almost getting to a fly ball that went into right field. If she would have been 5'9" instead of 5' she woulda had it! hehe

With a4-1 record, we can not complain too much. Or can we?




10 comments:

Dawn said...

I swear you could write for Leno. That was hilarious. Dad talked a mile a minute last night all about the days events. Looks like you didn't miss anything. ;) I'm sorry we missed it.

Jill said...

We missed you Dawn!
Hope to see you next Sunday!!!!

Amy said...

Jill,
OMG, you are awesome!!! Your retelling is hilarious and amazingly accurate to a tee!!! Loved it, I see a side career!

Thanks for the shout out! I am certainly paying for my efforts today. I don't know what got into me, why I was stepping up my game? I didn't even feel that well to begin with.

Jill said...

Amy now we have seen the real you, so our expectations are higher!!! LOL

What a great day.

Notice I left out the bee string. (What a big baby I am!)

Dawn said...

So my Dad just left and absolutely loved your writing, he's having fun. He blabbed another mile a minute tonight over pizza.

Oh and the big mouth spilled your truth beans about hockey. You're in trouble hoser! ;)

Jill said...

Sorry, Julie thought that would happen.
I just don't want to disappoint my Dawn!

Dawn said...

Oh it's ok Jill and it's drop in now if you ever change your mind. Only 2 purple showed up but we did have fun. There were only about 15 of us there, but many different from last week so it looks like it's going to be really casual. Instruction, then scrimmage with black/white jerseys that we pick up that night. During the scrimmage I went over to get my water bottle from the other bench and your coach Bill says oh no no no, you get nothing from over here so I sprayed him with it. I couldn't believe myself, thankfully he thought it was funny. I don't know what came over me.

Lisa said...

Sounds like alot of fun. Sorry we missed it. You guys did a great job keeping us in first place I am sure.

Jill said...

Boy Lisa the first game scared me.

Jill said...

Dawn thats great you need to put him in his place.