Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chicks with Sticks Game!!


The day dragged on..... it seemed like time had just come to a screeching stop, which is a good thing I guess. Tiffany woke up and wanted to make all the kids a t-shirt and of course I forgot that I said I would bake something for the bake sale.
However both things turned out great. Tiffany’s t-shirts were a hit and my sister Donna pulled through with some cookies, because I burned the muffins I baked. (Not unusual!)

As most games start with the Muylle’s, we had to tailgate. The family did great. Lots of food and a perfect parking spot. The kids were able to play in the field and we were out of traffic. Dawn strolled in with lots of time and tried to get a bite to eat. On our way in to the locker room the coach put a halt to Dawn’s dinner. “Stop don’t take another bite!” he yells. “You will throw up!”. She at least got half of it down. (Poor girl was starving.)

Game time is approaching and nerves are being tested. Poor poor Sheri Verzinksi tossed her cookies before the game. Then there was Julie Lindsay that had a small travel pillow in her hockey shorts to protect her butt in which has not one ounce of fat on it. Boy it was a good thing as it saved her twice as her butt hit the ice hard.

Game time
We make our line up order and are waiting by the door to enter the ice. The buzzer sounds and Jacqui Alfano and I enter the ice..... only to find noone else in sight. Of course it was not time to go, so off the ice we go to wait for the correct time. What a goof ball I am, we talked about it before hand, “Wait for your name” they said. (Whatever, I just want the game to start.)

After they announce all 40 women, sang the National Anthem and a 3 minute warmup “it’s game time”.

What a fun game!

In the first period the other team scored. It was like slow motion I could not get my hand over that slow moving puck. Their goalie was strong and stopped us every time.

Second period I was busy as I stopped everything. I had a kick save and one went off my facemask. I was not the only busy one as Cathy Drake scored our first goal and Leann Dyer poked in the second. At the end of the second period it was 2-1.

There was a lot of time between the second and third period, we were all getting nervous. My body was starting to get tight, my feet were hurting.

We could tell that the other team was putting out a strong line. We quickly changed up our lines so we had even lines. Jessica Feldotte had a great shot as it rang the post. (What a bummer!) Jill Schmidt is one of our defenseman and she had a great diving save in front of me and took down Amy Parrent (We call her pink laces.) Finally Poppy Blasch had a great pass from none other than Dawn Papesh and put one in their net to make the final score 3-1.(Great Assist Mrs. P)

Yeehaa WE WON!!!!!!!

I can’t wait until next year, to do this all over again.

I just want to thank my whole family for coming to cheer me on! I hope everyone had a great time!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Great tell of the evening Jill!! After three long months of anticipation the event did not disappoint! Awesome job Ms. MVP!! You totally deserved it! On the news clip Shari F. quipped that it was like "the prom" I think she hit the nail on the head. I waited for yesterday to come so long!

Thank goodness for the Bay City league or I think depression might set in for me. LOVE HOCKEY!

Jill said...

Remember when we were disappointed that the game was so far away? Now that it is over, it just seems like it went way to fast.
Your right if it weren't for Bay City I would be so sad! (I just Love it!)

Amy said...

Jill,
Sounds like you guys had a fabulous time, so sorry I missed it! I was with you both in spirits!! Great job on the MVP!!

Jill said...

We will get you out to a game yet Amy! We still have 7 weeks!

Sheri said...

What a great night it was and winning made it even better. Jill - you were an awesome goalie and we couldn't have done it without you! I wish Joe could have been there for our victory.

Sorry I'm not on your Bay City Team (Dave was kind enough to let me join at the very, very last minute). I called Dave Monday on the way home from work and he said if you can be here for a game tonight at 8:30pm then you can join the team. AND ... I didn't even puke!! But -WOW- am I sore!

Jill said...

Sherri,
Thank you! You are to kind.

I'm just glad you get to play in Bay City. I'm sore as well, I hope with a week off we can recover!

Dawn said...

Hi Sheri! Glad you found a team. Stinks that all 3 of us ended up on 3 different teams but I do like my ladies. Glad you didn't puke Monday night.

So you two get to battle on Monday. Sheri and her Pepto Pink vs. Jill & her Purple People Eaters. ;) I'll have to stick around and watch the action.